Online Master of Science in Construction Management
- Provided in an easily accessible, 100% online format by UTEP’s College of Engineering
- Designed for students with bachelor’s degrees in engineering, architecture, business and more
- Developed to prepare students for career growth and professional certification
- Considered a cost-effective online construction management degree
The online Master's in Construction Management (MSCM) program is a 30-credit-hour advanced degree now being offered in an online format by the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). Students seeking to obtain a higher level of construction knowledge can learn how to lead teams, manage complex projects and thrive in a global marketplace.
Busy professionals can appreciate the convenience and flexibility of this 100% online construction management master's degree which has been designed for individuals who may already be working in engineering, architecture, management or related fields.
WHY AN ONLINE MASTER'S IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT?
As the global construction industry expands, more and more companies are looking for experienced leaders to oversee their projects. This online Master's in Construction Management degree is ideal for those looking to add to their credentials and learn how to confidently handle projects of all sizes.
Our online construction management degree can help you acquire the skills and knowledge to:
- Become a key player in a growing industry
- Oversee complex projects of all sizes
- Manage the processes and logistics of construction jobs
- Estimate costs, maintain a budget, work in teams and secure material resources and control finances
- Work across disciplines towards a common goal
- Develop an understanding of job site safety and construction law
- Become an effective project manager
Our online Master of Science in Construction Management degree is designed to prepare you for certification through the American Institute of Constructors. The program also has an internship requirement that can assist you in gaining practical, hands-on experience at a UTEP-approved construction company or government agency.
Meet Cara Lanigan, Vice President of Clark Construction
"Students who complete the construction management program at UTEP understand the unique challenges and opportunities in our industry...
"UTEP students consistently demonstrate a strong work ethic, enthusiastic desire to learn, and an eagerness to “do what it takes” to get the job done."
Read more about Cara's assessment of UTEP Construction management students as empoyees.
Many of our graduates go on to become construction management leaders in roles such as:
- BIM specialist
- Project engineer
- Project manager
- Quality control manager
- Safety manager
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Meet our students
|David C. Worley||Nathanael Rodriguez|
Our faculty for the online Master's in Construction Management degree program bring a wealth of industry experience to the table; many have worked on billion-dollar construction projects. Several faculty members are bilingual and UTEP’s unique location provides a multicultural experience.
|Dr. Adeeba Raheem, Assistant Professor|
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Like our other online programs, our Master's in Construction Management online degree program helps make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities.
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE MASTER'S IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CURRICULUM
UTEP faculty estimates that more than 60 percent of all construction work is awarded based on a bidding company’s qualifications rather than price. Having access to experienced, certified and well-educated professionals is a construction company’s biggest advantage in today’s competitive environment.
The 30-credit-hour online construction management degree aims to prepare working professionals to achieve a greater level of understanding within an interactive and engaging learning environment. The program’s open structure allows students to begin classes at any time during the term, without worrying about course sequencing or prerequisites.
Upon completion of the construction degree curriculum, students should be ready to sit for the professional certification exam administered by the American Institute of Constructors. Online MSCM coursework includes:
Construction Management Courses
|Construction Internship||Obtain practical experience by interning at a UTEP-approved a construction company or government agency involved in construction management and engineering.|
|Construction Management||Learn the planning and management concepts of construction or engineering organizations including formation, organization, legal factors, marketing, financing and human resource management.|
|Advanced Construction Cost Analysis and Bidding||Study advanced methods and software tools for developing detailed estimates of construction costs, preparing bid packages, preparing budgets, and monitoring and controlling costs for construction projects.|
|Construction Law and Ethics||Develop a working knowledge of various forms of construction contracts, roles and responsibilities of the parties to the contract, licensing and regulatory requirements, lien laws and contractor rights, national and local labor law, procedures to avoid disputes. Learn how to work with each of the important terms of a contract.|
|Construction Scheduling||Understand parameters affecting project planning, learn to present schedule information, network diagramming, procurement practices, critical path scheduling, resource allocation and management impacts caused by changes, and computer applications using state-of-the-art software systems. You will create and present a report on a project that includes complete critical path scheduling analysis of an actual project using a state-of-the-art software system.|
|Advanced Construction Safety||Learn safe work practices, mandatory training, record keeping and maintenance of records, compliance with OSHA worker safety and environmental safety law inspection procedures, and penalties for lack of conformance to safety laws. You will also learn procedures to recognize hazards, CPR, site safety meetings, and accident investigations.|
|Construction Methods||Explore the use of materials and methods on construction projects, including wood, steel, and concrete construction and earthwork. You will develop a final project report involving planning construction methods for a project.|
|Earth Construction||Study how a construction site should be managed from the start of a project, how to protect the land, and how to manage soil and water issues during construction. Topics include specialized construction materials for managing soils and associated techniques that can save money and reduce construction time.|
Learn sustainable design and construction concepts, LEED and Green Globe project certifying organizations, water and energy efficiency, and difficulties in implementing sustainable project requirements.
|Advanced Mechanical Electrical Construction||Gain an understanding of electrical and mechanical contracting work practices, including estimating and bidding, labor requirements, equipment requirements, material specifications and potential problems occurring in this field of contracting.|
List of courses offered in Spring, Summer and Fall 2019 (subject to change)