Online Master of Science in Systems Engineering
- Provided in an easily accessible 100% online format by UTEP’s College of Engineering
- Online master's degree in systems engineering designed for engineers and other STEM professionals seeking technical and managerial skills
- One of a few online systems engineering master’s degree programs in the nation
- Created to serve industry partners
- Learning is hands-on and culminates with a practicum
- Curriculum takes into consideration the Systems Engineering Handbook of the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) and covers the full spectrum of Systems Engineering sub-disciplines
- Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) key concepts covered throughout the program of study and applied to build and manage engineering systems
The online Master of Science in Systems Engineering (MSSE) offered by the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is convenient, flexible and affordable. It is an ideal choice for aspiring engineers and current engineering professionals alike who want to perfect their engineering skills while learning how to manage large projects.
Students of the online systems engineering degree program can acquire a firm understanding of how to design and manage complex systems of all kinds and also learn how to work with people in a team. The program curriculum can also give engineers an advantage in earning their Associate/Certified Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP/CSEP) certification and prepares graduates to work in companies that utilize quality models such as the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI).
WHY AN ONLINE MASTER'S DEGREE IN SYSTEMS ENGINEERING?
Systems engineering is an essential part of the way the world works today and that's why earning your online amster's degree in systems engineering is critical to your future success in the field. It combines several skill areas — people, facilities, policies, hardware, software and documents — into an integrated discipline that combines human factors, technology, process engineering and management.
Opportunities in systems engineering are available in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, aerospace, defense, healthcare, electronics, automotive, education, software, government and other sectors that have a need for people who can understand and manage complex systems.
Graduates of this online systems engineering degree program will possess a degree that is recognized throughout the industry and gives them the skills to:
- Understand the modeling, creation and analysis of systems
- Integrate studies in human factors, technology, process engineering and management into one multi-faceted discipline
- Take a project from conception to completion by assessing a problem and providing the right solution for the customer’s need
- Manage teams throughout a system lifecycle
- Apply the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) best practices for developing products and services
- Learn the concepts for the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) ASEP/CSEP certification and be better prepared to pass the exam
- Acquire the advanced interdisciplinary knowledge required for management-level positions
Our students have a competitive advantage over others in the field: they have the opportunity to earn the ASEP/CSEP certification which opens the doors for widespread employment opportunities. They are also positioned to understand the best practices recommended by the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI), which are utilized by companies to build quality products on time and within budget.
Positions that our graduates typically hold may include:
- Chief systems engineer
- Mission systems engineer
- Mission systems architect/developer
- New mission developer
- Principal systems engineer
- Product architect
- Project director
- Project manager
- Subsystem engineer
- Systems architect
- Systems engineer
- Technical director
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Because some of our faculty serve as corporate and industry consultants, our online systems engineering degree program brings that knowledge into the classroom to provide students with the skills they need to succeed in the field. Faculty also prepare students to apply new engineering models to environments that are constantly changing. Students will have a multicultural experience and access to industry partners like Lockheed Martin and Department of Defense contractors.
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online degrees such as our online master's degree in systems engineering help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities.
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE MASTER'S IN SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CURRICULUM
UTEP’s College of Engineering created this degree to serve industry partners by addressing specific skills needed by systems engineering professionals. The curriculum also takes into consideration the Systems Engineering Handbook of the Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) and best practices from the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI).
The online systems engineering degree requires a minimum of 30 credit hours. During this program, students can build on fundamentals by gaining practical experience in systems engineering management, service systems, systems integration, validation and the testing of complex systems.
Our challenging curriculum is designed to advance all of these skills, transforming graduates into effective leaders who know how to manage interdisciplinary teams throughout a system lifecycle.
Each student in the online systems engineering degree is expected to have core knowledge in key areas of systems engineering. All students are required to complete the following five core courses (15 SCH) with a B average or better and with no more than one C. A graduate certificate option is available for students who complete these 5 core courses.
System Engineering Courses
|Systems Engineering Fundamentals||Study the key concepts, processes and process activities carried out by systems engineers including fundamentals of designing and engineering large and complex development projects. You will understand the architectural analysis and design, functional design alternatives and key architectural attributes of software tools.|
|Systems Engineering Management||Practice techniques and tools for systems engineering management including technical management, organizational environments, technical team structures, time and cost estimates, cost control, resource allocation and resource management. Refine your skill by proposing project studies, approved by your professor, that you develop in phases as the course progresses.|
|Systems Requirements Analysis||Learn methodologies, approaches, and techniques associated with requirement analysis and definition; explore the process for defining requirements including feasibility studies, requirements elicitation, formal specification, modeling, validation, verification, and documentation.|
|Systems Integration, Verification & Validation||Learn verification planning, verification methods and validation methods during the development, launching and operations of a system; as well as integration tests and integration text data collection analysis and systems requirement validation.|
|Systems Engineering Project Practicum||Under a faculty member’s supervision, apply methodologies and processes to develop a real customer project from the conceptual phase to prototype definition. This course must be taken in the last term of the program. Prerequisite: Department Approval.|
|Systems Architecture and Design||Explore conceptual design of systems, considering the arrangements of components, and the relations among them, and the holistic attributes of the arrangements. You will become familiar with the Department of Defense Architectural Framework (DoDAF), Zachman Frameworks, and others and understand why top-level strategic design at the beginning of the life-cycle is important. You will review essential elements, decisions, rationales and behaviors and appreciate the need for broad engineering knowledge in the creation of architectural representations. Prerequisite: Departmental approval.|
|Systems Engineering Process||Learn about the creation of systems engineering processes over a wide variety of complex systems and the models, methodologies and tools necessary to analyze and design system processes. Review ANSI/EIA 632and learn to distinguish and identify process as different from product, process started in the middle, efficiency, cycle-shortening, process development, integrated process sensing & control, evolution, and drift correction. Prerequisite: Departmental approval.|
|Systems Modeling & Simulation||Study Systems Modeling Language (SysML) as a systems-oriented customization of the object-oriented software Unified Modeling Language (UML) and model-based descriptions of systems, and executable simulations of systems made possible by SysML supporting programs, currently Enterprise Architect. Prerequisite: Departmental approval.|
ONLINE MASTER'S IN SYSTEMS ENGINEERING ELECTIVES
Completion of the online systems engineering degree also requires 6 credit hours of graduate courses from the Colleges of Engineering, Science or Business Administration.