How to set up a microphone in the COBA classrooms
Please note that you must use the podium's PC computer for this procedure. If you wish to do this using your UTEP laptop while you are teaching, the procedure is similar. Please contact us the COBA TaCC Lab at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (915) 747-7777 if you need assistance.
Step 1.- Selecting the Correct Playback Device
- Log in to the PC in the classroom and connect your USB microphone. Allow for a few seconds for the system to recognize it
- Once the system has recognized your USB mic, click on the speaker icon on the System Tray in the lower-right and click and release the slider to hear a Windows chime. If you hear the chime, skip to the step 2.
- If you DON'T hear the Windows chime, it means that the incorrect playback device is selected. Click on the circumflex/caret and select the appropriate playback device. Once you have selected the correct device, click on the slider again and you should now hear the Windows chime.
Step 2.- Setting Up the Microphone
- Once the audio has been confirmed, right-click on the speaker icon and select "Sounds". Once the "Sounds" window appears, click on the "Recording" tab.
- On the "Recording" tab, click on the microphone to select it (it will become blue-highlighted) and then click on "Properties".
- on the "Microphone Properties" window, select the "Levels" tab and lower the gain for the microphone. We recommend you start at a low value like 25 so that the audio is not too loud and you don't get feedback.
- Physically lower the gain on your microphone to its lowest setting. Once you have done that, click on the "Listen" tab. Select the "Listen to this device" box and click on "Apply." Slowly increase the gain on your microphone until the audio is at the desired level. Once that is completed, click "OK" to dismiss the windows as necessary.