Online Graduate Certificate in Technical and Professional Writing
- Accelerated 12-credit graduate certificate program
- Convenient, flexible and affordable online format
- Multilingual and multicultural faculty members
- Focused on writing skills for a variety of professions
- Advanced study of new media and communication technologies
The University of Texas at El Paso is excited to offer this 100% online technical writing graduate program. The graduate-level certificate is designed for graduate students of any discipline who want to strengthen their writing skills. The fully online format is also perfect for working professionals from all walks of life and military professionals seeking to advance their careers through better writing and communication.
WHY A TECHNICAL WRITING GRADUATE PROGRAM?
Technical and professional writing is a growing field that has many applications and earning a technical writing certification online can help increase your hireability. In addition to teaching strong writing skills, the program also focuses on digital communication and community engagement in intercultural contexts. Graduates of the program will learn to:
- Be more effective communicators overall and learn how to write for a variety of audiences. including technicians, corporate executives and military personnel
- Communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Apply rhetorical theories in practice and critically evaluate electronic research
- Work with new media to share information in a variety of different ways
Meet our students
|Matthew Harding||Gisela Simental|
Graduates of our technical writing graduate program typically work in positions such as:
- Corporate communicator
- Grant writer
- Online content developer
- Public relations specialist
- Science reporter
- Script writer
- Speech writer
- Technical editor
- Technical writer
- Technology reporter
- Military communications specialist
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
The technical and professional writing faculty members who teach in our technical writing certificate program online are bilingual and multicultural. Some of them have backgrounds in service learning and community writing, others in technology and writing. Still others have backgrounds in professional writing and student success. One thing they all have in common is a passion for effective communication and the development of great writing skills.
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online programs such as our technical and professional writing graduate certificate help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities. Here’s what sets UTEP apart:
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- UTEP has attained a coveted R1 designation (top tier doctoral university with very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. UTEP is one of only 130 (4.5%) top tier universities among the 2,883 four-year higher education institutions across the U.S. to earn this prestigious R1 distinction, joining the ranks of such universities as Stanford, M.I.T., Michigan, Arizona and California-Berkeley.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL WRITING CERTIFICATE PROGRAM ONLINE CURRICULUM
The 12-credit technical and professional writing graduate certificate offered through UTEP Connect can be completed in as few as two semesters, helping to propel you forward toward your educational and career goals.
Technical and Professional Writing Courses
|Technical Writing||Study the art and science of rhetoric for print and electronic communications that integrate the effective practice of technical writing, editing and graphic expression. Learn how to manage writing projects of varying levels of complexity, adapting content for various audiences and mediums, including social media.|
|Grant Writing||Examine the principles integral to writing successful grant proposals. Topics include analyzing requests, evaluating the requirements of proposal reviewers, adhering to grant submission guidelines, preparing executive summaries, developing in-depth project descriptions, and determining outcome measures and budgetary needs. The course culminates with the formal preparation of a substantial grant proposal.|
|Professional Writing||Explore the concepts related to taking an ethical, rhetorical approach to developing professional documents and designing effective presentations for distribution across print and electronic mediums. Study how to participate effectively in intra-organizational social networking, and learn what it takes to plan large collaborative group writing projects.|
|Professional Writing Seminar – Editing||Learn why editing is an essential element of successful writing through the practical application of copy marking, copyediting, comprehensive editing and web editing techniques. Assess the rhetorical elements of audience, purpose, authorship, ideology and design of web-based and print documents for discipline-specific, private industry, public sector and academic consumption.|