Online Graduate Certificate in Construction Management
- Available in an easily accessible 100% online format by UTEP’s College of Engineering
- Designed for working professionals and students who are interested in learning how manage complex construction projects
- Provides a pathway towards a master’s degree
The online Graduate Certificate in Construction Management offered by the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is a convenient and flexible way for engineers, architects and other construction industry professionals to achieve the knowledge and credentials they need to succeed in the industry; credits earned may be applied to a master’s degree for those students interested in continuing their educations.
WHY AN ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT?
A graduate-level certificate in construction management is ideally suited to students who
- Are limited by time and resources and/or corporate sponsorship and are only able to commit to a 15 semester credit hour program
- Want to pursue construction management as a secondary interest
- Are getting degrees in other fields but would like to get a graduate certificate in construction management at the same time
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Our construction management faculty bring a wealth of industry experience to the table; many have worked on billion-dollar construction projects.
The University of Texas at El Paso and its access and excellence mission are redefining public higher education not only in Texas, but also across the nation. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online degrees such as our online master's degree in systems engineering help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities. Here’s what sets UTEP apart:
- UTEP is one of the major economic engines in the Paso del Norte region, adding $1.4 billion to the local economy annually.
- UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students – about 80% of them Hispanic – and is the only doctoral research university in the nation with a majority Mexican-American student body. With its 36%-Hispanic faculty composition, UTEP also boasts one of the highest proportions of minority faculty among research universities in the United States.
- UTEP has attained a coveted R1 designation (top tier doctoral university with very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. UTEP is one of only 130 (4.5%) top tier universities among the 2,883 four-year higher education institutions across the U.S. to earn this prestigious R1 distinction, joining the ranks of such universities as Stanford, M.I.T., Michigan, Arizona and California-Berkeley.
- With $90 million in total annual research expenditures, UTEP ranks third among University of Texas System academic institutions in federal research spending. Funding is received from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, National Endowment for the Humanities and other agencies.
- UTEP is ranked as the best return on investment and one of the most affordable emerging research institutions in higher education in the country according to collegecost.ed.gov. Also, per collegescorecard.ed.gov, the average net price per year at The University of Texas at El Paso was significantly lower than other universities across Texas.
- Affordableschools.net also ranks UTEP as one of the top most affordable Latinx/Hispanic-Serving Institutions with online bachelor’s degrees.
- UTEP awards $88 million in scholarships annually and $192 million in financial aid (over 88% of UTEP students receive financial aid).
- The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No. 1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
- The Carnegie Corporation of New York also recently recognized the University for its institutional vision and commitment to quality, diversity, curricular innovation and investment in our community.
- UTEP is a part of the Military Times’ Best: Colleges 2018 rankings.
- Hispanic Business magazine consistently ranks graduate programs in both Business Administration and Engineering in the Top 10 in the nation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CURRICULUM
The online construction management graduate certificate requires a total of 15 semester credit hours which consists of 12 semester credit hours of coursework and a three-hour project internship in industry. All courses require a grade of C or better and credits may be applied towards a master’s degree if so desired.
Applicants are generally expected to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, architecture, business or physical science. Candidates for admission from other backgrounds will be considered for admission if they have construction experience acceptable to the department.
Construction Management Certificate Core Courses
|Construction Management||Learn the planning and management concepts of construction or engineering organizations including formation, organization, legal factors, marketing, financing and human resource management.|
|Advanced Construction Cost Analysis and Bidding||Study advanced methods and software tools for developing detailed estimates of construction costs, preparing bid packages, preparing budgets, and monitoring and controlling costs for construction projects.|
|Construction Internship||Obtain practical experience by interning at a UTEP-approved a construction company or government agency involved in construction management and engineering.|
Any two of the following:
|Construction Law and Ethics||Develop a working knowledge of various forms of construction contracts, roles and responsibilities of the parties to the contract, licensing and regulatory requirements, lien laws and contractor rights, national and local labor law, procedures to avoid disputes. Learn how to work with each of the important terms of a contract.|
|Construction Scheduling||Understand parameters affecting project planning, learn to present schedule information, network diagramming, procurement practices, critical path scheduling, resource allocation and management impacts caused by changes, and computer applications using state-of-the-art software systems. You will create and present a report on a project that includes complete critical path scheduling analysis of an actual project using a state-of-the-art software system.|
Advanced Construction Safety
|Learn safe work practices, mandatory training, record keeping and maintenance of records, compliance with OSHA worker safety and environmental safety law inspection procedures, and penalties for lack of conformance to safety laws. You will also learn procedures to recognize hazards, CPR, site safety meetings, and accident investigations.|
|Explore the use of materials and methods on construction projects, including wood, steel, and concrete construction and earthwork. You will develop a final project report involving planning construction methods for a project.|