Online Graduate Certificate in Construction Management
- Available in an easily accessible 100% online format by UTEP’s College of Engineering
- Designed for working professionals and students who are interested in learning how manage complex construction projects
- Provides a pathway towards a master’s degree
The online Graduate Certificate in Construction Management offered by the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is a convenient and flexible way for engineers, architects and other construction industry professionals to achieve the knowledge and credentials they need to succeed in the industry; credits earned may be applied to a master’s degree for those students interested in continuing their educations.
WHY AN ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT?
A graduate-level certificate in construction management is ideally suited to students who
- Are limited by time and resources and/or corporate sponsorship and are only able to commit to a 15 semester credit hour program
- Want to pursue construction management as a secondary interest
- Are getting degrees in other fields but would like to get a graduate certificate in construction management at the same time
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
Our construction management faculty bring a wealth of industry experience to the table; many have worked on billion-dollar construction projects.
The University of Texas at El Paso has a 100-year history as a preferred educator for students in the U.S.-Mexico border communities. At UTEP, we believe that an accessible and affordable education should be available to all. Online degrees such as our online master's degree in systems engineering help make higher education a possibility for those who are unable to come to campus because of other responsibilities.
- UTEP is ranked #1 in “Social Mobility” according to Washington Monthly.
- The U.S. Department of Education ranks UTEP as a great value with the lowest net tuition of all research universities in the country.
- Issues in Higher Education ranks UTEP #2 among all U.S. colleges and universities in the total number of degrees awarded to Hispanics.
- UTEP is recognized as a 2016 Military Friendly® School.
- UTEP received the Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP) Champion of Access and Success Award for successfully advancing strategies that increase opportunity, persistence and degree completion for low-income, first-generation, minority, adult, veteran, disabled and other underserved student populations.
- The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board ranks UTEP #3 in Texas among the 7 peer “Emerging Research Universities.”
- Washington Monthly also ranks UTEP #8 overall among “National Research Universities”—in excellent company between #6 Stanford and #10 Harvard.
- UTEP teaching has been recognized as a “Model Institution for Excellence” (one of only six in the country) by the National Science Foundation.
- UTEP is one of 11 universities nationwide to receive a $5 million “Teachers for a New Era” research grant from Carnegie Corporation.
- UTEP is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT CURRICULUM
The online construction management graduate certificate requires a total of 15 semester credit hours which consists of 12 semester credit hours of coursework and a three-hour project internship in industry. All courses require a grade of C or better and credits may be applied towards a master’s degree if so desired.
Applicants are generally expected to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, architecture, business or physical science. Candidates for admission from other backgrounds will be considered for admission if they have construction experience acceptable to the department.
Construction Management Certificate Core Courses
|Construction Management||Learn the planning and management concepts of construction or engineering organizations including formation, organization, legal factors, marketing, financing and human resource management.|
|Advanced Construction Cost Analysis and Bidding||Study advanced methods and software tools for developing detailed estimates of construction costs, preparing bid packages, preparing budgets, and monitoring and controlling costs for construction projects.|
|Construction Internship||Obtain practical experience by interning at a UTEP-approved a construction company or government agency involved in construction management and engineering.|
Any two of the following:
|Construction Law and Ethics||Develop a working knowledge of various forms of construction contracts, roles and responsibilities of the parties to the contract, licensing and regulatory requirements, lien laws and contractor rights, national and local labor law, procedures to avoid disputes. Learn how to work with each of the important terms of a contract.|
|Construction Scheduling||Understand parameters affecting project planning, learn to present schedule information, network diagramming, procurement practices, critical path scheduling, resource allocation and management impacts caused by changes, and computer applications using state-of-the-art software systems. You will create and present a report on a project that includes complete critical path scheduling analysis of an actual project using a state-of-the-art software system.|
Advanced Construction Safety
|Learn safe work practices, mandatory training, record keeping and maintenance of records, compliance with OSHA worker safety and environmental safety law inspection procedures, and penalties for lack of conformance to safety laws. You will also learn procedures to recognize hazards, CPR, site safety meetings, and accident investigations.|
|Explore the use of materials and methods on construction projects, including wood, steel, and concrete construction and earthwork. You will develop a final project report involving planning construction methods for a project.|