Online Graduate Certificate in Systems Engineering
15 credit hours | In-state tuition: $782/credit hour | Out-of-state tuition: $782/credit hour
- Offered in an easily accessible 100% online format by UTEP’s College of Engineering
- Designed for working professionals and students who are interested in learning how to develop and manage complex systems
- Curriculum prepares students to apply new engineering models to environments that are constantly changing and provides a pathway towards a master’s degree
- Students enjoy access to industry partners like Lockheed Martin and Department of Defense contractors
Why Earn a Graduate Certificate in Systems Engineering?
Systems engineering is an essential part of the way the world works today. It combines several skill areas — people, facilities, policies, hardware, software and documents — into an integrated discipline that combines human factors, technology, process engineering and management.
Graduates of this program will possess the core skills needed to
- Understand the modeling, creation and analysis of systems
- Integrate studies in human factors, technology, process engineering and management into one multi-faceted discipline
- Take a project from conception to completion by assessing a problem and providing the right solution for the customer’s need
- Manage teams throughout a system lifecycle
- Apply the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) best practices for developing products and services
- Learn the concepts for the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) ASEP/CSEP certification and be better prepared to pass the exam
- Acquire the advanced interdisciplinary knowledge required for management-level positions
A graduate-level certificate in systems engineering is ideally suited to students who
- Are limited by time and resources and/or corporate sponsorship and are only able to commit to a 15 semester credit hour program
- Want to pursue systems engineering as a secondary interest
- Are getting degrees in other fields but would like to get a GCSE at the same time
Opportunities in systems engineering are available in a wide range of industries including manufacturing, aerospace, defense, healthcare, electronics, automotive, education, software, government and other sectors that have a need for people who can understand and manage complex systems.
The UTEP Career Center provides graduates with resources to help them pursue their career goals.
The online systems engineering graduate certificate requires a total of 15 semester credit hours which consists of 12 semester credit hours of coursework and a three-hour project practicum in industry. Students will acquire core knowledge in key areas of Systems Engineering and the project practicum allows students to take on a project for a real customer from beginning to end. Students must complete the following core courses with a B average or better with no more than one C to be awarded the certificate. Credits may be applied towards a master’s degree if so desired.
Applicants are generally expected to have a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, computing, physical sciences or the like.