Dantes Subject Standardized Test
The DSST Program (formerly known as the Dantes Program) is a credit-by-examination testing service provided by The Chauncey Group International, Ltd™. This program gives the student an opportunity to receive credit for learning acquired outside the traditional college classroom.
The Office of Student Assessment & Testing does not determine or advise which test is needed for credit in a particular course. For more information on DSST refer to the DSST subject and credit list.
Please refer to your academic advisor for proper Credit by Examination opportunities. Inform yourself on the policies in regards to Credit by Examination on the UTEP Undergraduate Catalog. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will provide the credit evaluation. Visit here for credit evaluation.
Candidates for the DSST test are permitted registration into one test subject per test date, this is due to projected test duration, sometimes as long as three hours.
Please make sure that you check with your academic advisor before taking this test, there are no refunds.
There are two fees associate with DSST, these are the UTEP Test Center fee ($20) and the DSST exam fee ($85). These fees are processed through separate transactions. DSST exams are free for military personnel
The two fees are:
- UTEP Test Center Fee – Pay the $20 test fee online with a credit card. THE TEST FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE.
- On the day of the exam– Pay the $85 DSST fee this fee must be paid with a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express credit card.
• Step 1: After online payment is completed, you will receive a confirmation email. On your confirmation email, locate the reference number which is need to complete the test registration. Refer to test schedule for dates and times. There are two convenient ways to register for a test session:
- In-person at the Student Assessment & Testing Office located at the Academic Advising Center Bldg., Room 127.
- Call (915) 747-5009
Day of the Test
- The office is located in the Academic Advising Center Building, Room 127. Candidates are asked to arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. If you arrive late, you may not be allowed to take the test.
- Prior to the test administration, all test takers must present current and valid picture identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or picture student identification. DANTES funded eligible military test takers must provide a valid Common Access Card (CAC). Only test takers should be permitted into the testing room. Unauthorized visitors are not permitted in the testing room at any time.
- For more information on the DSST (DANTES) Program:
• Preperation Resources: https://getcollegecredit.com/testprep
• Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Call the Program Operations Manager toll free at 866-794-3497.
• These tests, cut-off scores, and testing policies have been approved by the academic colleges and departments teaching the respective courses. Click here to view credit link
All test takers are eligible to retest after a 90 day wait period. NOTE: For eligible military students, DANTES only funds the first attempt to pass an exam; any subsequent attempts to pass a failed exam will be the test-takers responsibility. (test take bulletin: https://www.getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/Test-Taker-Bulletin_07.25.2018.pdf)
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED:
FOOD, DRINKS, HATS, MECHANICAL PENCILS, ALL TYPES OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES, ALL TYPES OF WATCHES, AND CONCEALED HANDGUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE TEST ROOM!
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021;