The Accuplacer ESL exam assesses students who speak English as a second language in order to prepare them for a successful academic experience.
Who is required to take the Accuplacer ESL Test?
You must take the Accuplacer ESL test if you:
• Received your secondary education (high school) in a language other than English.
• Attended English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), English as a Second Language (ESL), or bilingual classes in high school.
• Submitted the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination, and scored between 500 - 599 as part of your admissions requirements.
• Submitted the Prueba de Aptitud Académica (PAA) and scored 1000 or above as part of your admissions requirements.
Please make sure that you check with your academic advisor before taking this test, there are no refunds.
* FEE WILL INCREASE TO $10 September 1st 2019
• Step 1: Determine if you need to take the test
The Office of Admissions and Recruitment will determine if you need to take the Accuplacer ESL test.
• Step 2: Payment Procedures
Entering freshman and transfer students do not need to pay to take the Accuplacer ESL test the first time.
Only Graduate students and students retaking the test must pay a $30 test fee online with a credit card at http://testingpayment.utep.edu.
THE TEST FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE. Valid only for one fiscal year (September 1st through August 31st of the following year).
• Step 3: Register for a test Session
After online payment refer to your confirmation email and locate the reference number.
There are three convenient ways to register for a test session:
1) Online at http://testregister.utep.edu use your UTEP credentials to log in. (Please have your confirmation email with your reference number ready).
2) In-person at the Student Assessment & Testing Office located at the Academic Advising Center Bldg., Suite 127.
3) Call 915-747-5009 (Please have your confirmation email with your reference number ready). Refer to the test schedule for dates and times.
• Step 4: On the day of the test
Report to the Student Assessment & Testing Office 15 minutes early for check-in. Late arrivals may not be admitted to the test.
You will be required to present an official UNEXPIRED identification card with a current photo.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- U.S. Driver’s License
- UTEP Identification Card
- UTEP Identification Card
- U.S. Department of Public Safety Identification Card
- U.S. Military Identification Card
- U.S. Alien Registration Card
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED:
FOOD, DRINKS, HATS, MECHANICAL PENCILS, ALL TYPES OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES, ALL TYPES OF WATCHES, AND CONCEALED HANDGUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE TEST ROOM!
UTEP Codes: ACT: 4223; AP, CLEP, SAT, TOEFL: 6829; THEA: 357; DSST: 8021;