TOEFL iBT – Test of English as a Foreign Language
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is used to evaluate the English proficiency of students whose first language is not English. It evaluates the student’s knowledge of English at the intermediate to advanced levels of English language studies. The TOEFL iBT® test is administered via the Internet.
Test takers have up to 4 hours to complete the TOEFL iBT test. The test has 4 sections:
• Reading measures the ability to understand academic reading material written in English – 60-80 minutes; 36-56 questions
• Listening measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities – 60-90 minutes; 34-51 questions
• Speaking measures the ability to speak English in an academic context – 20 minutes; 6 tasks
• Writing measures the ability to write in English in a way that is appropriate for college and university course work – 50 minutes; 2 tasks
Visit the TOEFL website for the most up-to-date information.
• Step 1: Online Registration - $185 fee.
NOTE: Check the TOEFL website to see if there are any restrictions on payment methods for your location.
• You can register online at http://www.ets.org/toefl using a credit/ debit card, a PayPal account, or an electronic check (e-check).
• Any credit/debit card branded with one of these 5 logos will be accepted: American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard® or VISA®.
• Test takers with U.S. bank accounts can register online and pay using electronic checks (e-checks).
• ETS reserves the right to add, modify, or remove a payment method at its own discretion and without notice. See Payment Policies on pages 7-8.
• Registration is open 24 hours a day. Regular online registration closes 7 days prior to the test date – not including the day of the test.
**Late online registration closes 3 days prior to the test date – not including the day of the test. Test takers who register after the regular deadline will be charged a late fee of US $35.
• Step 2: Payment Procedures
1. When you register online, you will create a profile for your account, with a user name and password. Your online account is not transferable.
2. Return to your account to:
Update personal information such as your email or mailing address
Update your identification (ID) information
Change your password
View your registration information
Reschedule or cancel your registration
View your scores
Order score reports or other services
Check the status of previous orders
Pay an outstanding balance
3. Once you enter your name and date of birth, those fields cannot be changed. Make sure the information you enter exactly matches the identification document(s) you will bring with you to the test center.
4. You will be required to enter your identification (ID) information before you can register for a test date. ID requirements depend on where you plan to test and your country of citizenship. See http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/id for details.
5. Be sure to return to your online account the day before the test and check your registration confirmation. If there is a change at the test center (for example, a different starting time or a different building), it will be updated in your account under View Orders.
6. Print the confirmation or note your registration number — you may need the number on test day.
**There is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period. If you already have a test appointment, you cannot register for another test day that is within 12 days of your existing appointment.
• Step 3: On the day of the test (TOEFL Test Day Tips)
If you are plaining on taking the test at The University of Texas at El Paso please report to the Office of Student Assessment & Testing (located on Hawthorn on campus).
Arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. If you arrive late, you may not be admitted.
• Acceptable and valid identification document (ID), with your name, signature and photograph that matches exactly the name you used when you registered. Your ID will be checked before you are admitted. See Identification Requirements.
• Your registration number. You will get this when you register. You will not receive an admission ticket. Return to your online profile and check your registration confirmation the day before test day. If there is a change in the test center information (for example, a different building or start time), it will be updated in your online profile. To access or print your confirmation, log on to your profile and select View Order(s), then select Registration Confirmation.
• Cell phones and other devices are not permitted during the test or during breaks. (If you have health-related needs requiring you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to request accommodations in advance. Procedures for requesting accommodations are described in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs (PDF).)
• Step 4: After the test
• Your scores will be posted online approximately 10 days after the test date.
• You can view your scores online by logging in to your TOEFL iBT account and selecting "View Scores" on your home page.
• Scores are also mailed to you (if you requested a paper copy) and the universities or institutions you selected approximately 13 days after the test date.
• You can take the test again to improve your scores. There is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you cannot take it more than once within a 12-day period. If you already have a test appointment, you cannot register for another test within 12 days of your original appointment.
How to Reschedule or Cancel Your Test
If you need to reschedule or cancel your registration, you must do so at least 3 full days before your test date (not including the day of the test and not including the day of your request). For example, if your test is on Saturday, you must reschedule or cancel by Tuesday. If your request is not received at least 3 full days in advance, your test fee will not be refunded. Test center staff cannot make schedule changes.
To reschedule your test, you must provide:
• Your registration number
• The exact name you used when you registered
• The fee for rescheduling is US$60. The fee must be paid before you can register for a new date.
• If you are testing in the U.S., Canada, or a U.S. territory, you can use the online registration system or call 1-443-751-4862 or 1-800- GO-TOEFL (1-800-468-6335) to reschedule or cancel your test.
• If you are testing outside the U.S., Canada, or U.S. territories, you can use the online registration system or call the appropriate Regional Registration Center (RRC) to reschedule or cancel your test.
• You cannot reschedule or cancel your registration by regular mail or email.
Test Fee Refunds
If you cancel your registration before the 3-day advance deadline, you will automatically receive a refund equivalent to half of the test fee you paid. The remainder of your fee will be retained to cover the cost of processing your registration and holding a seat for you at the test center. Refunds are in U.S. dollars. Cash refunds are not available. No refund will be given if you could not test because you did not follow proper registration procedures or because you failed to present valid, acceptable identification at the test center.
• Payments by Credit/Debit Card, PayPal or e-check. Refunds are processed automatically and credited back to the original credit/debit card, PayPal account or bank account.
• Payments by Check. Refunds are processed automatically. If original payment was drawn on a U.S. bank, allow 8 weeks after your cancellation for your refund to be processed. If original payment was made in non-U.S. funds drawn on a bank outside the U.S., allow 12 weeks for your refund to be processed.
Test Preparation Material
• To familiarize you with the types of questions on the test, you have access to a new practice opportunity — the TOEFL® Sampler. Try it for free at http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare.
• Prepare for the test with TOEFL® Practice Online, the only practice test that simulates the TOEFL iBT testing experience by covering all 4 skills: Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. It offers targeted practice to monitor progress and help confirm readiness for test day, and gives you same-day scores and diagnostic reports for your completed practice tests. See http://www.ets.org/toeflpractice.
• Access free practice questions at http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare/sample_questions.
• Find more free and priced test prep products at http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare.